Per i soliti pigri estraggo le perle
- Boston changes the self confidence of many people, because the most important thing as a marathoner isn't the history. Don’t look for the official records or something this. But in any case, it was, I think, the most exciting marathon of all time in every part of the world. Running 2:03, the way that Geoffrey and Moses used to run Boston, is something that , in my opinion, can change the history of this event in a mental point of view. When athletes reach this type of value, there is no fear, no fright about running faster, and it is possible to overtake the limit. The mental limit is the first step for doing this.
- Mentally, the situation for these guys is the change after the marathon, that three athletes – Geoffrey, Moses, and Gebremariam – they best appear also like runners of 10,000m …. Gebre has 26:52, Moses 26:49, and Geoffrey last year ran a 27:27 in altitude that means something like a 26:45 at sea level. Athletes don’t wait to finish their career on the track slowing down before moving to the marathon.
- The methodology is connected with the level of athletes. We needed to change the methodology. It's not the methodology coming before the athlete, but after the athlete. With this type of athlete, it is possible to look for a marathon under 2:03 in two or three years.
- But if we go to analyze the competition this year, the key was Ryan Hall at the beginning, Ryan Hall was very even and very good till 25 (kilometers), but after 25, there was a 5k in 15:07, that means all the athletes lost 25 seconds on the pace. And I don't think that these 25 seconds could be recovered in the last part. So if it was possible this year to have someone pushing from 25 to 30km, already this year the final was 2:02:45, it was already possible.
- We need to discover something new in training. Because in the history of athletics, not much has changed in the last 40-years, for example in the 800 meters or 1500. In the 400m, nothing has changed. No, we are speaking of 45 seconds today, forgetting that in the Rome Olympics, 1960, 51 years-ago the first and second were together (in the 400) in 44.9. For long distances, everything changes, because we continue to increase in every type of performance. The first key for changing started from Ron Clark in 1965, when for the first time, people not only spoke of general mileage, but of the qualification of mileage. This is the key for running fast.
- What can happen if we are ready to reduce (by) three percent the difference between running a half-marathon like pace and a marathon, we can look for running under two-hours? Of course we need an athlete that, in that period, is running 26:20 for 10,000 meters preparing for a marathon. I don't know if at the moment there is one out there like this, but I know it is possible, also because a marathon is the only event in athletics now where they can keep the motivation. Or secondary motivation which is very important. So the most top talent that are young are moving to the marathon right now, so my idea that the world record on the track (ie, for 10,000 meters) will have a very long, very long life, because there is no longer the same interest around. The world record in the marathon can be beaten several times in the next years.
Ho riempito due post con quello che doveva essere un paragrafo di un capitolo della serie "sono forti sti americani". E infatti sono proprio forti sti americani a rivenderci un prodotto tutto italiano che ha ampliato il suo spazio nel palcoscenico atletico mondiale. Mi aspetto una pubblicazione arricchita nell'edizione nostrana http://www.runnersworld.it/ con tante note dal passato when he was a top coach of Italian marathoners in the 1980s and 1990s. E il direttore Marco MARCHEI potrebbe dire la sua.